Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Bird Pictures

Here is me looking at bird fat. Bird fat is pinkish or orange. You can see the fat when you blow the feathers up. Bird skin is clear.









Here I am looking at two birds at a time. Sometimes, in both books, there's the same bird. For example, the Ivory Billed Woodpecker makes a knock knock knock peep peep peep peep in one book. In the other, it does knock knock knock and more singy singing. I like to play them at the same time so that I could hear what a big pack of birds would sound like. Actually, they're called "flocks" with birds.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Arden! I never knew that bird skin is clear. Are there any birds that do not have clear skin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Arden- it's Karen! I hope you are having fun in kindergarten so far. What a very creative idea to start a blog on birds. How many non-fiction and fiction books on birds do you have at your house?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arden, This is a great blog! I learned from you that birds have clear skin. I did not know that before. I also like how you used the word "flock" to describe the big pack of birds. I hope you'll keep teaching us things on this blog! - Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arden, I also did not know that birds have clear skin. Are flocks used to describe all packs of birds - even really big birds like flamingos?

    Thank you for the science lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maria, we don't know if all birds have clear skin. But, the research assistants look at the molting of all the birds.
    Karen, I have 4 nonfiction bird books. Most of my fiction books have birds in them, but they aren't just about birds.
    Jana, yes. All groups of birds are called flocks. Not just, like, one bird flying would be a flock. Groups.

    ReplyDelete